My 3 children all really love to cook with me – I am not certain I always love cooking with them but I love the idea of it! For example, Henry today cracked 4 eggs into a bowl and the proceeded to lift that to the Thermomix tipping it on an angle so they rolled on to the bench – arghh and he is my eldest at nearly 7!
Anyway, they love it and we all love home cooked food, so I have started only cooking with one at a time and its making it a lot more fun and less stress as they used to argue over whose turn it is to do what! Each Sunday I ask them something they want to make for their lunchboxes and then we make it together.
Today, Henry and I made this delicious gluten free Jaffa Chocolate Brownie. It makes awesome domed muffins too that definitely do not look like they are gluten free (you know often gluten free means a brick!?! Not these ones).
Jaffa Chocolate Brownie
- 250gms butter
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200gms almond meal
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 1 Tblsp Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 10 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil
- 1 cup Ningxia Wolfberries (Or Goji Berries)
- If using a Thermomix grind your almonds into almond meal on speed 9 for about 10-15 seconds. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar on speed 4 for about 1 mins
- Add eggs and mix in well for 30 seconds on speed 4
- Add the remainder of the ingredients including the wolfberries and blitz on speed 5 for about 30 seconds.
- Poor into a lined slice tray. This recipe also makes 12 perfect muffins too.
- Cook in a 180 degree oven and remove as soon as its cooked through or just before. Nothing worse than a dry brownie!
Disclaimer: I am an intuitive cook so I really don’t pay attention to how long I blend / mix stuff for. I go by gut feel so please feel confident in winging it at this recipe is forgiving! I also favour a Thermomix as I am a quick cook and I like to move fast. I love that it grinds my almonds, melts my butter if I need and blitz’s it all perfectly. That said this recipe could definitely be made in a mix master too but you would need to buy almond meal. You don’t need to blitz the wolfberries either you could just stir them through at the end but my kids are more likely to eat it if it has a smooth consistency.
One of the reasons I love this brownie is that it keeps really well in the fridge or freezer. I also love that it’s pretty healthy and full of goodness and no nasties!